HomeGamblingFA charges Tonali over alleged betting rules breaches

FA charges Tonali over alleged betting rules breaches

Date:

Related stories

UK firm Ground Control to create 150 jobs in Ireland with €5m investment

The company, with turnover last year of €228m, already...

Latest Changes to UK Gambling Commission Regulations

The UK Gambling Commission made ne­w changes,...

North Yorkshire restaurant and wedding venue wins national small business award

Whitby restaurant Hetty & Betty won the ‘At Your...

Crazy jobs on offer in Saudi Arabia’s £803bn mega-city

A futuristic mega-city - complete with an artificial moon and...
spot_imgspot_img

Sandro Tonali is Newcastle’s second most expensive signing

Newcastle United midfielder Sandro Tonali has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association for alleged breaches of betting rules.

The 23-year-old is currently serving a 10-month ban issued by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) in October for breaking betting rules in Italy.

Tonali joined Newcastle from AC Milan in July for £55m.

The FA alleges Tonali broke its rules by placing 50 bets on matches between 12 August and 12 October 2023.

Tonali was banned by the FIGC for betting on matches involving his teams Brescia and Milan, and Fifa later granted the Italian federation’s request to have the ban extended worldwide.

The FA charges relate to separate allegations during Tonali’s time as a Newcastle player.

“Newcastle United acknowledges a misconduct charge received by Sandro Tonali in respect of alleged breaches of FA Betting Rules,” the club said on Thursday.

“Sandro continues to fully comply with relevant investigations and he retains the club’s full support.”

His current ban means Tonali is not eligible to play again until August and will not feature at Euro 2024.

The Italy international, who was fined 20,000 euros (£17,380), was initially given an 18-month ban which was reduced after he agreed to take part in an eight-month “therapeutic plan” to help “recovery from gambling addiction”.

That will include Tonali making at least 16 public appearances in Italy, where he will be expected to speak to young players about the dangers of gambling.

Although he is unable to play in any matches, Tonali can train alongside his Newcastle team-mates during his ban.

Tonali, who has until 5 April to respond to the FA’s charges, had only made 12 appearances for Eddie Howe’s side before his suspension was imposed.

Last year Brentford striker Ivan Toney was given an eight-month for 232 breaches of the FA’s betting rules. He returned in January.

Former England and Arsenal midfielder Paul Merson, who says he was a “compulsive gambler” during his career, called Tonali and Toney’s bans a “disgrace”.

“To give people 10-month bans for an addiction that is ravaging football, with sponsorships all over the shirts… They needed help and I don’t think ‘help’ is giving them 10-month bans,” he said.

How to follow Newcastle on the BBC bannerNewcastle banner footer

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

spot_img