HomeShoppingMajor UK shopping centre evacuated with people rushed out in 'emergency'

Major UK shopping centre evacuated with people rushed out in ’emergency’


Related stories


A MAJOR UK shopping centre has been evacuated after people were rushed out due to a “suspicious item”.

Shoppers were told to get out of Westfield shopping centre in Stratford, east London, this morning.


Westfield Stratford was evacuated in an emergencyCredit: MartinJohnston7
The shopping centre in East London is popular in the capital


The shopping centre in East London is popular in the capitalCredit: Alamy

More confused customers were said to have been turned away at the door by emergency services.

The reason for the lockdown was due to a “suspicious item”, according to cops.

Police officers told The Sun that they were alerted to the possible threat at 10.15am .

Cops evacuated the surrounding area as a precaution while the item was assessed.

After specialists found the item to be “non-suspicious”, the incident was stood down just before 11.30am.

Shocked witnesses reported seeing several police cars outside the popular shopping centre.

Two fire engines were also dispatched to the scene.

Photos circulating on social media showed large crowds beginning to gather as more and more people were ushered outside by cops.

The force were then seen putting up police tape while they investigated the shopping centre and the surrounding area.

The shopping centre sits close to Stratford station which serves the Elizabeth Line, Overground, Central, and Jubilee lines.

A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman said: “At 10:15hrs on Wednesday, 8 May, police were alerted to a possible suspicious item at Stratford Place, E20.

“The surrounding area was evacuated as a precaution while the item is assessed.

“The item was found to be non-suspicious and the incident was stood down.”

A London Fire Brigade spokeswoman said: “Firefighters were called to assist police at an incident on Montfichet Road in Stratford this morning.

“The Brigade was called at 10.35 and the incident was over for firefighters by 11.29.

“Two fire engines from Stratford and Leytonstone fire stations attended the scene.”

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories